A week of KDE4 usage

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 2 23:31:02 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 14:21:45 +0200 as excerpted:

> Me too. KDE is so customizable, and I like things to be integrated. To
> have the same file dialog for all applications. I also like the idea of
> a semantic desktop, although I do not make use of it yet. Or activities,
> which are probably nothing for me, but quite interesting.

[splitting this into single-point replies as I find the urge]

The more I see about semantic desktop, and the more experience I get with
it, the more I conclude that while it might be fine for the "computers
for dummies" crowd (who should be far more comfortable with gnome or
unity than kde anyway, but...), it's very little more than a huge waste
of resources, here.

FWIW, I don't run *locate or even have the service installed, for much
the same reason.  Evidently, I'm intuitively directory tree oriented, and
seldom have the problems others (even the types who'd normally know to
run locate) seem to have finding stuff.  Even if I can't go to the
specific file or dir, I *CAN* narrow down the search space far enough
that a (perhaps a couple level recursive, hardly ever more) real-time ls
or grep (or often for me, the filesearch function in mc) works reasonably
well, well enough that the inconvenience of the location indexing and the
chance the index is outdated for the info I'm looking for, is more hassle
than it's worth.

In that context, "semantic desktop" features are nice to have in theory
or were there no associated costs, but in practice, VERY unlikely to be
worth the hassle and resources required to maintain the database.

So here, I continue to turn as much of that stuff off as possible.
Fortunately, kde and gentoo both tend to make that somewhat possible,
altho it hasn't really been practical to turn it off entirely for some kde
versions, now.  But while I have to build with USE=semantic-desktop, that
does *NOT* mean I have to have strigi running, with an index I repeatedly
had to delete (before I simply turned off the feature as entirely unworth
the trouble) after it took up 4-gigs plus on a /home partition that
there's (otherwise) no reason in the world why it can't properly fit in
the 16-ish gigs it's allotted, thus running me out of space when I SHOULD
have several gigs to spare.

Plus, that saves me from various krunner crashing issues, etc,
specifically known bugs that I simply don't have to deal with as I've
often already disabled, and where not, can disable as soon as I'm made
aware of them, the sometimes bug-triggering semantic desktop features...
(In particular here, I'm thinking about the contacts and desktop search
krunner modules, specifically warned on the user-/tech-base articles
about akonadi, etc, to turn off if krunner was crashing.  When I read
that, I had one of the two turned off already, the other one I didn't
know about but was happy to turn off as soon as I realized it was there,
clued in by the techbase mention to look.  And looking back, indeed, my
krunner crashes disappeared about same time I turned off the one, well
before I read that note in *base.  But the principle applies in general.
I seem to have had far less trouble with "weird occurrances" since I made
it my policy to disable all semantic desktop stuff I could possibly get
away with disabling, not just with krunner, but that one's widely known
and accepted to be the case.)