Anyone know how to figure out what packages Kaffeine3 really depends on?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jul 4 06:41:14 BST 2011

Felix Miata posted on Mon, 04 Jul 2011 00:38:10 -0400 as excerpted:

> On 2011/07/04 03:15 (GMT) Duncan composed:
>
>> Felix Miata posted:
>
>>>  On openSUSE 11.4 I want Kaffeine to be able to directly play isos
>>>  made from DVDs. Is this possible? If so, what does it take? I tried
>>>  to have YaST2 install it, but it wants to install kitchen sinks,
>>>  bathtubs and garages as well,

FWIW, that metaphor had /me/ laughing, but I certainly know the feeling.

(They say that one technique for better security is not to install more
than you actually need, as that's less stuff for the bad guy to find vulns
in.  Well, by that measure, gentoo encourages VERY good security, because
you think you have it bad keeping binary packages updated, just imagine
building them all yourself!  That DEFINITELY tends to encourage one to
slim down on optional dependencies after a few update cycles, for SURE!)

>> Kaffeine3?  Where'd you get that version number?  The latest both on
>> the site (kaffeine.kde.org) and here on gentoo is 1.2.2 (released
>> 2011.04.17,
>> 1.2.0 was 2011.04.04).
>
>> Or do you mean the last kde3-based release, 0.8.8 (released
>> 2009.05.23)?
>
> http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/11.4/Multimedia/i586/kde3-
kaffeine-0.8.8-50.pm.50.31.i586.rpm

OK, so kaffeine for kde3.  That's not even an option on Gentoo, unless
you have the kde-sunset overlay configured, because kde3 isn't even in
the tree.  And if you don't have any other kde3 packages installed, it
could *DEFINITELY* be described as wanting to pull in the kitchen sink,
the bathtub, and the garage, as that'd mean pulling in kde3-libs, part of
kde3-base, and the (even farther out of upstream support than kde3 and
very likely vulnerable in more ways than one) qt3 package(s) as well.  So
I don't blame you for choking on that; I would too!

kaffeine for kde4 (that is, probably 1.1 or 1.2.something, depending on
how close to upstream they stick for updates between OpenSuSE releases),
would be FAR less dependencies, presuming you already have kde4 installed
as I expect you do or you'd be unlikely to be posting here, BUT, as I
said, last I checked anyway it was nowhere near as powerful as the kde3
version.  Meanwhile, smplayer's a very reasonable alternative, with all
the features a power user could ever want (more than vlc, which I also
have installed), but by default, the GUI's reasonably simple, so it's a
reasonable choice all around.  Or at least I've found it to be so.

> Dragonplayer built into what? I never hear of it before.
>
> zypper in dragonplayer wanted to install 36 packages.

Dragonplayer is the media-player that comes with a full kde install.
However, like kaffeine it's built on xine-lib and ffmpeg instead of the
mplayer that smplayer uses, and mplayer is a bigger package on its own
(compressed mplayer package 8 megs, vs 2.5 for xine-lib, here) but with
less external dependencies , so you'll have less to track -- assuming you
didn't have either one installed before, which appears to have been the
case before the kaffeine attempt.

But dragonplayer is what I call a "media-player for dummies", very simple
interface but very basic features.  So it's unlikely you'd want it
anyway.  smplayer is more featureful than vlc, while dragonplayer is
less, hardly more than play/pause/next/prev.  (All those dependencies are
codecs, etc, not player-features!)

> I was only trying Kaffeine because I thought a KDE native would most
> likely be next best thing to VLC.
>
> zypper in smplayer only wanted to install 13 packages, so I removed
> everything installed explicitly for kaffeine, then installed smplayer.
> It seems good as VLC ever was. Thanks!

> libvdpau1		hardware video accel library
> liblzo2-2		lzo decompression library
> libesd0		sound daemon (which you are unlikely to use, but
mplayer is build with support for it, so requires it)

> libdv4		dv codec (camcorders...)
> libdirac_decoder0	dirac codec (BBC, some other FLOSS community)
> libcrystalhd3		not sure, possibly crystal icon theme?
> giflib		gif format images, animated gif support
> libfaac0		mpeg-4 advanced audio ENcoder (faad is the
decoder, you likely won't use this encoder unless you're going to be doing
video conversion or encoding, but supported=required I believe.

> libbs2b0		audio lib (stereo format converter?)
> libmpg123-0		mp3 and other mpeg related
> libbluray0		should be obvious, if you don't have a bluray
device it's unlikely to be of use, but again, supported=required

> MPlayer		This is what was actually requiring most of the
above.  FWIW, mplayer has a UI of its own as well, but it's very command-
line oriented, so front-ends such as smplayer are quite popular.  As I
said, mplayer has support for a lot of stuff built-in, so has fewer codec
dependencies and the like than xine-lib, but it's bigger.

> smplayer		"Our feature program!" =:^)  The frontend for the
mplayer engine, above.