KDEPIM 4.6 prob^Wimpressions

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Jul 2 22:59:11 BST 2011

Alex Schuster posted on Sat, 02 Jul 2011 16:55:01 +0200 as excerpted:

> Kevin Krammer writes:

>> > BTW, I have lots of resources named akonadi_ical_resource_0 to
>> > akonadi_ical_resource_20 (only number 19 is missing), all with no
>> > file name selected.
>>
>> You can delete those (kcmshell4 kcm_akonadi_resources or from
>> KOrganizer),
>> this is a hard to reproduce bug (timing related) when migrating
>> calendars.
>
> Thanks, I did so. Looks less cluttered now. There ares till some empty
> resources:
> - Personal Calendar: No file selected - Adressbuch: No KDE address book
> plugin configured yet.
> - akonadi_kabc_resource_2: No KDE address book plugin configured yet.
> - akonadi_kcal_resource_0: No KDE calendar plugin configured yet.
>
> I guess I will just delete them. Never did much with the calendar, and
> the address book seems to work, although kmail does not use its entries
> for auto completion. But that's no problem, I just have not dealt with
> this yet.

Thankfully, I deleted the blank/unused entries here, before upgrading all
my kdepim packages to 4.6 (while they were still 4.4).  IMO that made the
akonadi kmail migration that much less confusing, as I didn't have all
those empty resources doing nothing to confuse me.

It was a bit scary to do, but I figured if it was either empty or a dupe,
I should be able to safely delete it, and that turned out to be correct.
Plus, back then the only real resource I had to worry about was the
address book, unlike now, when I have all the mail resources too.  Thus
there was less chance of deleting something I actually needed, back
then.  (That was actually one reason I did it then, as I knew the kmail
migration was going to happen eventually, and better to do it when I
didn't have a lot to lose than when I did...)

Bottom line, you're correct, those empty ones should be safely
deletable.  But I'm glad I did it here when the stakes were smaller if I
screwed up.