How do I restart KDM?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Feb 18 16:00:50 GMT 2011

Nikos Chantziaras posted on Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:01:46 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 02/18/2011 12:35 PM, John Layt wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I've read that if I put:
>>>
>>>     Section "ServerFlags"
>>>         Option "DontZap" "false"
>>>     EndSection
>>>
>>> in xorg.conf, it will bring back the old behavior.  But it just
>>> doesn't work :-/

>> Some distro's, e.g. openSuse, require that you hit it twice in quick
>> time. Try hold down ctrl-alt then hit backspace twice quickly and see
>> if that works.

I don't use a *dm, preferring to setup the session and startx from a
launcher script started at a CLI login, but I did occasionally find C-A-BS
useful, back in the day...

But I hadn't read anything about the double-invoke until the above, so had
filed it away to try, some day.  Meanwhile...

> ctrl+alt+bs doesn't work regardless how many times I trigger it (with
> ctrl+alt kept pressed or not.)
>
> I should also mention that since I'm using Gentoo, this is all vanilla
> KDE and X.Org.  That's why I'm hoping someone here knows a solution,
> since there are no weird disto patches applied that could get in the
> way.

Same here.

Meanwhile, I've read various hints about getting C-A-BS to work again, but
like the above, they've always come at inconvenient times (as might be
expected for something that aborts the entire graphical desktop and
anything running in it... pretty much /any/ time is inconvenient,
especially when the browser one usually uses to read such things works in
that graphical environment and there's usually other things going at the
same time that I don't want to terminate...), and I need the feature
seldom enough it has always remained on the back burner...

However... there's a couple other C-A-BS tidbits filed away that could be
useful here, and perhaps you'll find the priority to look into them and
tell me which ones work on a Gentoo system, so I don't have to...

These are more in the form of "keys one might try adding to a google
search" than anything specific, as at this level of mental filing, that's
about all I retain, a couple key concepts and linkages that help start a
google once I decide to look into it... or post hints for someone else
too.  That's usually enough to dig up the rest if I ever decide I need it,
without being too detailed to clog up the memory with junk I might never
get around to needing in the first place.  So they aren't much, but
hopefully they're helpful pointing you in the right direction to start a
good search...

1) With all the rewriting of xorg.conf rules and the the like (and now
with the splitting to xorg.conf.d/* files), the magic settings may have
changed.  In at least one case, one setting ended up being controlled by
another, with rather counterintuitive and non-normal xorg default settings
necessary to get the originally simple feature actually working once
again.  (IIRC, that one was in the hal/xorg era, related to turning off
hotplugging to get the actually configured input-devs to actually take.
IDR the details, tho if I looked at the xorg.conf (5) manpage for a few
minutes I'd probably remember them.  But it's not really apropos to this
thread, so...)

So #1 involves checking the manpages and/or google to ensure that there's
no weird more global setting that has to be activated in ordered to get
the Option DontZap False to take...

2) Someone posted, either here or in the kde-linux group/list (group on
gmane, where I see them), a comment to the effect that there's a
configurable kde hotkey to replace the C-A-BS now.  I remember the post
because it sort of surprised me, but never did followup to see if there
really was an X-abort-sequence to be configured somewhere in the kde
keyboard shortcuts.  If my memory of the timing is correct, the post
should be in the 4.3 era or later (it wasn't immediately when I first
started on the kde lists, late in 4.2), and if it's 4.5 era, it would be
early 4.5 era, so I'd say most likely mid 4.3 era to 4.5.0 era, mid 2009
to mid 2010, timeframe.  My guess is that if there is such a kde setting,
it may not work without a comparable xorg setting enabling it, as well,
thus reducing discoverability as neither one would work on its own.

This is the biggest problem with these possibilities and apparently with
the feature in general now, if a single setting doesn't seem to work
despite what the document says it does... how many will ever find both (or
all three, or...) at the same time?  In their attempt to idiot-proof the
feature, they've unfortunately almost human-proofed it as well! =:^(

3) By all reports, the feature IS still available, but they've apparently
idiot-proofed it into near extermination, since it's not active by
default, even with the documented xorg.conf setting that both you and I
already have.  I've always expected I'd figure it out if I actually took a
few hours to investigate; it has simply never gotten to be sufficiently
irritating to raise the priority high enough to get those few hours.
Maybe if I'm lucky, the above hints will be enough for you to do the
actual investigative work and I'll get the solution with just the few
minutes invested in this reply (plus the few minutes required to safely
test your solution, when you post it, of course =:^).

Meanwhile, I still miss the simple C-A-KB+/KB- resolution switching from
before RandR!