Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:47:07 BST 2011

On Wednesday 31 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:53:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
> >> I have a local ntp server, whose url is specified in /etc/hosts.
> >> Pinging it from my new CentOS 6 laptop works just file. Watching with
> >> WireShark, if I do /etc/init.d/ntpd restart, I see a successful ntp
> >> query and response.
> >>
> >> Now using KDE 4 on my new CentOS 6 laptop, using the "Date & Time
> >> [modified] - System Settings", I set time using my server. In WireShark
> >> I see a dns query asking for the address of:
> >> "settings-look-and-feel.desktop".  The dns response is: "No such name".
> >>
> >>  How about that?
> >
> > If I understand you correctly, in CentOS 6 you have used System Settings
> >
> > > Computer Administration section > Date and Time to set up ntp.  What
> >
> > did you give as the server entry?  Have you tried giving it the IP of
> > your server, rather than the name?  The wireshark report does seem odd.
> > I can't imagine why it looks for the desktop file.
> >
> > Anne
>
> [...]
>
> My original observation is in error as you will see.
>
> Actually, I first edited /etc/ntp.conf to have use my
> local time server first, and then tock.usno.navy.mil.
> This time I had WireShark running when I first brought
> up System Settings > Computer Administration section >
> Date and Time.  Merely bringing it up results is a
> barrage of weird dns queries.  Two I saw this time is
> "settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
> Is you might expect, dns responded "No such name".
> These things stop and then repeat every now and then.
> On the Date and Time gui, if I uncheck and recheck "Set
> date and time automatically" with my local url entered
> and selected, I do get a correct ntp transaction.
>
> I now see that the odd dns activity is not specifically
> related to Date and Time, but occurs when I click and of
> various options.  Why is this?

Sheer blind guesswork - you are running a LAN, so packets will be constantly
being moved around the network, though switch or router.  My guess, which
might be totally wrong, is that you are seeing harmless normal traffic.  As you
say, it doesn't look as though it is connected with the ntp query.

As for the 'uncheck and recheck' giving you a result - that's probably because
it checks on a schedule, and you re-started the schedule.

Anne