Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 19:10:51 BST 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:47:07 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 31 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:53:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
[...]
>> My original observation is in error as you will see.
>>
>> Actually, I first edited /etc/ntp.conf to have use my local time server
>> first, and then tock.usno.navy.mil. This time I had WireShark running
>> when I first brought up System Settings > Computer Administration
>> section > Date and Time.  Merely bringing it up results is a barrage of
>> weird dns queries.  Two I saw this time is "settings-personal.desktop"
>> and "settings-system.desktop". Is you might expect, dns responded "No
>> such name". These things stop and then repeat every now and then. On
>> the Date and Time gui, if I uncheck and recheck "Set date and time
>> automatically" with my local url entered and selected, I do get a
>> correct ntp transaction.
>>
>> I now see that the odd dns activity is not specifically related to Date
>> and Time, but occurs when I click and of various options.  Why is this?
>>
> Sheer blind guesswork - you are running a LAN, so packets will be
> constantly being moved around the network, though switch or router.  My
> guess, which might be totally wrong, is that you are seeing harmless
> normal traffic.  As you say, it doesn't look as though it is connected
> with the ntp query.
>
> As for the 'uncheck and recheck' giving you a result - that's probably
> because it checks on a schedule, and you re-started the schedule.
>
> Anne

[...]

I looked on another box on the LAN, a CentOS 5, and I saw nothing
like it.  I am guessing that it is a new feature of kde or something
else in CentOS that is malfunctioning.  In a sense it is harmless, but
creates useless noise on the net (it goes to outside dns servers)
and replaces something that should be doing something.  I'll post
on the CentOS list.

Mike.