Bad DNS Query for Date & Time

Michael D. Berger m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 18:31:08 BST 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:53:59 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 Aug 2011 Michael D. Berger wrote:
>> I have a local ntp server, whose url is specified in /etc/hosts.
>> Pinging it from my new CentOS 6 laptop works just file. Watching with
>> WireShark, if I do /etc/init.d/ntpd restart, I see a successful ntp
>> query and response.
>>
>> Now using KDE 4 on my new CentOS 6 laptop, using the "Date & Time
>> [modified] - System Settings", I set time using my server. In WireShark
>> I see a dns query asking for the address of:
>> "settings-look-and-feel.desktop".  The dns response is: "No such name".
>>  How about that?
>>
> If I understand you correctly, in CentOS 6 you have used System Settings
> > Computer Administration section > Date and Time to set up ntp.  What
> did you give as the server entry?  Have you tried giving it the IP of
> your server, rather than the name?  The wireshark report does seem odd.
> I can't imagine why it looks for the desktop file.
>
> Anne
[...]

My original observation is in error as you will see.

Actually, I first edited /etc/ntp.conf to have use my
local time server first, and then tock.usno.navy.mil.
This time I had WireShark running when I first brought
up System Settings > Computer Administration section >
Date and Time.  Merely bringing it up results is a
barrage of weird dns queries.  Two I saw this time is
"settings-personal.desktop" and "settings-system.desktop".
Is you might expect, dns responded "No such name".
These things stop and then repeat every now and then.
On the Date and Time gui, if I uncheck and recheck "Set
date and time automatically" with my local url entered
and selected, I do get a correct ntp transaction.

I now see that the odd dns activity is not specifically
related to Date and Time, but occurs when I click and of
various options.  Why is this?

Thanks,
Mike.