kdepim akonadi questions

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Aug 16 13:53:41 BST 2011

Hi Martin,

On Sunday, 2011-08-14, Martin Bednár wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> first of all, I'd like to state that I'm all in for the Akonadi concept : a
> central storage for pim-related (and other) data; endless possibilities.
>
> However, I have a few questions : how does mail search work? I gathered
> that mails get fed to nepomuk, but so far I have only been able to find
> mails by sender (sometimes by subject). By subject is quite limited for
> me, because sometimes I get mails with diacritics in the subject (ř,š and
> others), yet my main keyboard layout doesn't have it, and I have no way of
> searching for those subjects without changing the layout. (I have hope
> that kmail search will become more powerful than gmail's, but for now I
> can't feel that power).

Are you talking about searching (as in find messages action) or filtering
(quick search bar on top of the message list)?

As far a I know the latter work like before, i.e. KMail looking at subject and
sender, while searching is now handled the way you describe (through querying
Nepomuk).

> Next, what exactly is the compatibility brigde? I'm trying to translate
> this term into czech, but without exact knowledge of what it is, it's
> quite hard. My theory is that it's an Akonadi resource capable of using
> the old KResource format as storage backend. Just a theory, if anyone can
> elaborate, please do.

This is correct.
There are basically two kinds of bridges: the ones you described (allowing
Akonadi to access data provided by KResource plugins) and the other way around
(a plugin to allow KResource using applications to access data in Akonadi).
The latter is sometimes also referred to as "client bridge".

See the middle column in these images:
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/PIM/Akonadi#KResource_Migration_Status

> What's up with Lion-mail? I've read about it some time ago, but I don't see
> it anywhere... Or does anyone have an Akonadi based applet that notifies
> of new mail (Kmail2 not running is a must).

Sorry, no idea about Lion mail's status and unfortunately no idea about any
other mail notifier either.

> And last, : As far as I understand, Akonadi creates a Nepomuk NCO object
> for every contact. Are there any plans to make a service that combines
> information from multiple NCO into one PIMO object and have an address
> book based on it?

Yes, currently being worked on as a Google Summer of Code project:
http://martys.typepad.com/blog/2011/06/gsoc-pim-nepomuk-and-telepathy.html

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring