kdepim akonadi questions

Martin Bednár serafean at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 19:20:39 BST 2011

Hi all,

first of all, I'd like to state that I'm all in for the Akonadi concept : a
central storage for pim-related (and other) data; endless possibilities.

However, I have a few questions : how does mail search work? I gathered that
mails get fed to nepomuk, but so far I have only been able to find mails by
sender (sometimes by subject). By subject is quite limited for me, because
sometimes I get mails with diacritics in the subject (ř,š and others), yet my
main keyboard layout doesn't have it, and I have no way of searching for those
subjects without changing the layout. (I have hope that kmail search will
become more powerful than gmail's, but for now I can't feel that power).

Next, what exactly is the compatibility brigde? I'm trying to translate this
term into czech, but without exact knowledge of what it is, it's quite hard.
My theory is that it's an Akonadi resource capable of using the old KResource
format as storage backend. Just a theory, if anyone can elaborate, please do.

What's up with Lion-mail? I've read about it some time ago, but I don't see it
anywhere... Or does anyone have an Akonadi based applet that notifies of new
mail (Kmail2 not running is a must).

And last, : As far as I understand, Akonadi creates a Nepomuk NCO object for
every contact. Are there any plans to make a service that combines information
from multiple NCO into one PIMO object and have an address book based on it?
Example : facebook & google data sources, I have the same contacts in both,
but with different information. The service would see that they're one person,
and combine it into one PIMO object, and this would represent the person on my
PC. This is just a little theory I made while reading about nepomuk, I might
be completely wrong about this.

Thanks in advance,

Martin