Question about Kubuntu

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Fri Aug 12 12:16:43 BST 2011

Hi Richard,

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 04:56, Wilson, Richard <richard.wilson3 at hp.com> wrote:
> I have been using Fedora for years and prefer it, but a teammate has convinced me to try Ubuntu -- he's managed to dispose of everything Windows (ok, he runs an XP VM for those times he HAS to connect to a website that requires IE).  But everything else, including some weird VPN's we have to reach have just come up working for him.  I am still trying to get one of them (Cisco AnyConnect) working under Fedora 15 64...
>
> The last time I tried Ubuntu (it was the Karmic Koala release) I noticed that the download install DVD's came in 2 flavors, Ubuntu and Kubuntu.  I am used to Fedora where I tell it to install KDE when I install the O/S.  Are there still separate installation disks/processes for Ubuntu?  If so what's the thinking behind that?  With Karmic I had to get an alternate Kubuntu DVD to work with my old hardware; my new hardware (hopefully) won't be so picky.

You can download the iso for your needs from http://kubuntu.org  The
current version is Kubuntu 11.04, to get the latest KDE version you
need to activate the Kubuntu backports PPA. You can find all
information in either that website and its links or by browsing their
wiki and support sites, the links to are provided as well.

Also, there is a support mailing list called kubuntu-users for which
you should also find the links to on the Kubuntu website.

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org