KDE Quality (problems) and my problems

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 04:47:05 BST 2011

John Longer posted on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 19:28:59 +0100 as excerpted:

> I'm going to miss konqueror as a file manager. I like it's ability to
> use it to brows all. Photo’s too but notice that it's retained most of
> it's other facilities. I really am glad to see that.

FWIW, you can still use konqueror as a file manager, tho what it does is
actually use the dolphin kpart, but it's still konqueror's general UI and
layout as opposed to dolphin.  You can even use gwenview as your
filemanager, if you choose, tho the only people I can imagine actually
finding that practical are those who don't care about anything besides
media-files (no text or document files of other types), as gwenview
doesn't seem to show non-media files at all.  And FWIW, I /believe/ for
those who have it installed, krusader remains a filemanager option as
well, tho I can't actually verify that one as I don't have krusader
installed.  Plus, there's the usual "Other" option, which lets you choose
another app that's not listed, if desired.

So where is this set?  Glad you asked. =:^)

kcontrol[1][2], workspace appearance and behavior, default applications,
is the applet.  On the left you'll see a list of application roles, email
client, text editor, file manager, etc.  Choose file manager and make your
choice between those above as you like. =:^)

---

[1]  Usual note that goes along with mentions of this utility in my posts:
kcontrol's the reasonably accurate kde3 name, because it's mostly user
specific kde control options being set, and even when not, it's kde's
control as opposed to say gnome's or the generic setup, for others.  But
for whatever reason, the kde folks decided to rename it to the imposssibly
generic and inaccurate systemsettings in kde4, so that's what you'll see
it as, but I still call it by the more accurate former name, kcontrol.  My
choice as it's my post!

[2] The kcontrol layout was reorganized for kde 4.5.  It needed it so the
changes were a good thing, but that does mean that 4.4 and earlier users
will have to look around a bit, as I'm describing the 4.5/4.6 location,
here.