KDE Quality (problems)

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Apr 18 04:16:26 BST 2011

Kevin Krammer posted on Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:02:51 +0200 as excerpted:

>> I made the remark once on the Quanta list that I wished it could be
>> ported to Windows so that I could recommend it to all those I know that
>> absolutely refuse to use Linux. Theres a port of KDE to Windows. I
>> wonder if they would be interested in further development of Quanta.
>
> The persons doing KDE on Windows are only a very small group within the
> KDE community. Aside from having to fix things that build or work nicely
> on Unix platforms, they also have to take care of providing executables
> and thinking about deployment.
>
> However, I am quite optimistic that they'll try to include it in their
> set of supported application once it becomes releasable on Linux.

I think that the idea (workable or not I don't know), was that if the
demos of what Quanta did in the 3.5 era were available so that people on
MS could see them too, it /might/ actually be that a new sponsorship comes
from there even while it doesn't seem to be forthcoming on Linux.  The MS
commercial community is enough bigger that even with a lower per-company
chance, it's still as large if not larger a chance, to get a sponsor from
them, than from the Linux/Unix side -- at least once porting is at least
technically possible, as it is now.

OTOH, there are other problems with the MS development side becoming the
dominant one.  See for instance firefox, tho arguably they've done a
reasonable job at managing that.  But even still, both firefox and chrome
bundle their libraries, for instance, giving Linux distributions absolute
fits, since bundled libraries is just the way it tends to be done on MS,
while the pressure on the Linux/BSD side is to support system library use
even if the libraries are optionally bundled.  And arguably Linux hardware
graphics rendering would have a higher priority had they been equally or
primarily focused on Linux, instead of Windows, as well.  And...

So I'm not sure it'd work out all that well, anyway.