KDE Quality (problems)

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Apr 14 20:47:37 BST 2011

On 04/14/2011 09:45 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>[...]
> Another problem is the release cycle. The cycle is so short, that even
> many bugs reported during
> alpha stage aren't fixed. At release-time, devs are already working on
> new features, often not backporting their fixes.
> So you end up again with release+1, this time with other bugs.
>
> Its not uncommon for me to see integral parts broken after updating to
> a new major (like the panel in my multimonitor setting when updating
> to 4.6).

In my opinion, the major problem here is not the timing, but rather that
after putting version 4.N out, focus switches to version 4.N+1 instead
of focusing 90% on 4.N.1, .2, etc.  This way, a truly nice, stable and
solid release in never achieved.  The devs always hunt after the next
big thing, rather than trying to make what they currently have as
rock-solid as possible :-/  Right now, every release is riddled with
glitches and annoyances, and instead of focusing on fixing them, new
features are added for the next major version.