KDE Quality (problems)

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Apr 17 19:02:51 BST 2011

On Sunday, 2011-04-17, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 04/17/2011 11:50 AM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > Despite its dire situation one of the KDevelop gurus applied for a GSoC
> > slot for Quanta+ last year, but even after his hard work (Go Milian!) it
> > is still not anywhere close to its best times and no maintainer on the
> > horizon either.
> >
> > Maybe its because most web sites are done in backend/frontend separation
> > now, with something like PHP on backend and JavaScript on frontend and
> > people are using specialized tools for the two.
>
> What you say may have some validity for commercial websites, but, there
> are tons of people out here doing LOADS of pages that aren't using all
> that stuff.

True, of course. Sorry for not getting this across correctly. I meant that due
to this change it is less likely to find any company sponsoring Quanta
development because they need it themselves.

> I made the remark once on the Quanta list that I wished it could be
> ported to Windows so that I could recommend it to all those I know that
> absolutely refuse to use Linux. Theres a port of KDE to Windows. I
> wonder if they would be interested in further development of Quanta.

The persons doing KDE on Windows are only a very small group within the KDE
community. Aside from having to fix things that build or work nicely on Unix
platforms, they also have to take care of providing executables and thinking
about deployment.

However, I am quite optimistic that they'll try to include it in their set of
supported application once it becomes releasable on Linux.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring