KDE Quality (problems)

John Longer ajohnlonger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 20:30:20 BST 2011

You are confusing me about the reasons for the mail import not working Kevin,
Surely it runs from it's working directory for one thing. I know that
the earlier
3.x import took care of themselves if install noticed them but not much use
if things have been backed up elsewhere and it's a fresh install - often the
case. That was fixed for some.

 When I tried importing it read folders across even those in my inbox but no
where near all of the mails. It even missed the ones actually in my inbox.

This is nvg and I have already commented on the long term absence of an
address book import. Really it's a case of is this a real working desktop or
something that is playing at being one. For wide spread use there isn't
an in between. Not a problem on 3x as the files could be simply dragged
into the correct place providing users new which files and where.

John

On 17 April 2011 18:06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Friday, 2011-04-15, John Longer wrote:
>
>> Worst problems are migrating data from my past set up on late 3.x.
>> Mail import and bookmark import into konq do not work and have
>> obviously only been trivially tested. I use folders of my inbox which
>> may be the problem. Folders else where too. Address book - seems it
>> may be possible but no obvious way to do it. Apart from Konq I have
>> filed bug reports that seem to be holding critical. While I understand
>> the comments on why this sort of thing happens I think that people are
>> missing a rather important aspect. Dev's are in all probability proud
>> of there work and do want people to use it. Trouble is, as an example,
>> unless data migration is flawless KDE has no credibility as a desktop
>> for general use at all. Niggley bugs are another matter entirely. I've
>> worked on none pc software for rather a long time. People who work on
>> software have to learn that the users needs must come 1st despite the
>> need for change.
>
> Just a remark: some 3 -> 4 migration problems were caused by distribution
> specific changes.
> For example some distributors changed KDE 4 library code to use $HOME/.kde4 as
> the user's top level directory for KDE data and config, but did not change
> each application's data migration code to check for the old $HOME/.kde
> location as well.
>
> Users of distributions which either took care of the migration in parallel to
> their changes or did ship KDE4 as released by KDE did almost always fare
> better.
> My own migration from 3.5.10 to 4.2.2 on Debian went very well, only losing
> identity overrides on folders in KMail, no folders, mails or filters missing.
> Surely not ideal but hardly a problem (I guess most users don't even use that
> feature).
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

John
KDE 4.6.0 Release 6
OpenSuSe 11.4