KDE Quality (problems)

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 23:55:16 BST 2011

> In my opinion, the major problem here is not the timing, but rather that
> after putting version 4.N out, focus switches to version 4.N+1 instead
> of focusing 90% on 4.N.1, .2, etc.  This way, a truly nice, stable and
> solid release in never achieved.  The devs always hunt after the next
> big thing, rather than trying to make what they currently have as
> rock-solid as possible :-/  Right now, every release is riddled with
> glitches and annoyances, and instead of focusing on fixing them, new
> features are added for the next major version.

That was basically what I ment with "Features count most",
stability/performance/bug-fixing don't get the attention they deserve.

The question is where to go from here on. As far as I can see things
won't chance for KDE. As a user, I could try Gnome3 but I am afraid it
needs at least a year to mature and I dislike their idea of hiding
"whats behind" from users.
I didn't like xfce years ago, but haven't tried it lately.

Time will show ;)

- Clemens