4.6.2 early report

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Apr 9 18:35:24 BST 2011

gene heskett posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:06:47 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Saturday, April 09, 2011 09:56:58 AM Duncan did opine:
>
>> gene heskett posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:57:21 -0400 as excerpted:
>> >
>> > Let me see if I can look at that one.  And you just might have nailed
>> > it,
>> > from a bash konsole, $KDEHOME is not defined, either for me or for
>> > root. But where in the login process do I put that?
>>
>> FWIW, I skipped the usual explanation for $KDEHOME.  Looks like I
>> shouldn't have.
>>
>> $KDEHOME if set changes a KDE default.  The default, if not set, is
>> ~/.kde4 , tho it's possible for that to be changed at compile-time as
>> well.
>>
>> So $KDEHOME is simply a shortcut for saying "~/.kde4 (unless you or
>> your distribution has changed it to something else, either at compile
>> time, or using the $KDEHOME variable)."
>
> Humm, I had it figured to be that.  Now the question is:  If its
> compiled with something else, how can I extract that and prove it?  Or
> should I simply figure out a way to put it in the login?, which I am not
> sure is a kdm screen.  It may be a gdm.

It's pretty evident what kde is using for $KDEHOME, since that's where it
saves most of the user config.  If you have a ~/.kde4 and no ~/.kde or
~/kde or ~/kde4 or anything similar variant, it's gotta be ~/.kde4.  That
part's not the problem, since it's going to use what it's going to use.
$KDEHOME is simply an easy notation to use for it, since the user's kde
home directory may in fact be different for different distributions and in
fact installations, if that var is actually set (which it won't be, most
of the time). So don't go chasing that rabbit! =:^)