4.6.2 early report

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 9 19:04:24 BST 2011

On Saturday, April 09, 2011 01:44:30 PM Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 10:06:47 -0400 as excerpted:
> > On Saturday, April 09, 2011 09:56:58 AM Duncan did opine:
> >> gene heskett posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2011 22:57:21 -0400 as excerpted:

> >> FWIW, I skipped the usual explanation for $KDEHOME.  Looks like I
> >> shouldn't have.
> >>
> >> $KDEHOME if set changes a KDE default.  The default, if not set, is
> >> ~/.kde4 , tho it's possible for that to be changed at compile-time as
> >> well.
> >>
> >> So $KDEHOME is simply a shortcut for saying "~/.kde4 (unless you or
> >> your distribution has changed it to something else, either at compile
> >> time, or using the $KDEHOME variable)."
> >
> > Humm, I had it figured to be that.  Now the question is:  If its
> > compiled with something else, how can I extract that and prove it?  Or
> > should I simply figure out a way to put it in the login?, which I am
> > not sure is a kdm screen.  It may be a gdm.
>
> It's pretty evident what kde is using for $KDEHOME, since that's where
> it saves most of the user config.  If you have a ~/.kde4 and no ~/.kde
> or ~/kde or ~/kde4 or anything similar variant, it's gotta be ~/.kde4.
> That part's not the problem, since it's going to use what it's going to
> use. $KDEHOME is simply an easy notation to use for it, since the
> user's kde home directory may in fact be different for different
> distributions and in fact installations, if that var is actually set
> (which it won't be, most of the time). So don't go chasing that rabbit!
> =:^)

This then, brings up the 64k$ question:  Why is it not saving, and reusing,
the settings I give it after a restart?

The results are apparently quite randomized.  This time, its fairly usable,
but its a crap shoot what it will be next time, and seems to get worse, not
better, with each succeeding hundred plus packages at a time kde update.

Earlier this morning, I saw that another old kde4 bug was back, knotify4
was eating one whole core of my phenom, keeping it heated to nearly 60C so
I killed it.  But nothing has changed that I can tell.  It has since
restarted itself while I was napping, and now seems to be using only a
nominal amount of cpu & its back to about 47C.  Have there been complaints
about that previously?  I used to have to kill it immediately after a
restart just to get my machine back.

Thanks Duncan.

--
Cheers, Gene