Firefox going awol for a while

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Apr 8 06:20:50 BST 2011

Anne Wilson posted on Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:33:06 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Thursday 07 April 2011 10:12:18 kde at mail.kde.org wrote:
>> This is a bit similar to the spell check problem on kmail only much
>> shorter duration. Basically
>>
>> 10 to 12 active tabs and I open a fresh window from one of those from
>> time to time. May also open tabs in that. Then close it and go back to
>> the main one. ;-) works for me. The main window has been up for 14hrs
>> but don't think that has anything to do with it.
>>
>> Several times while using firefox in this way it hangs for maybe a min
>> or more and then decides to catch up.
>>
>> I have also had a black screen for a few seconds on several occasions
>> while using various apps.
>>
>> Are these related to power save by any chance?

I don't believe so but as I said in the other replies, I run Gentoo, not
OpenSuSE, so...

But you mentioned IPv6 issues in another post.  Maybe firefox is being
affected by them as well?

> Are you sure you have enough RAM for all this?  Every tab uses a fair
> amount of memory, and when it is used up you will get swapping
> occurring.

I'm seconding Anne here but not only.  What version of firefox by chance?
In any case, firefox is infamous for various memory and behavior
problems.  I don't personally tend to have the degree of issue that many
have with it, but that is in part certainly due to the fact that I run
konqueror as my default browser, so firefox doesn't tend to get left open
for major periods of time or have the number of tabs open that folks using
it as their primary browser would have.

Also significant, I don't have flash or similar proprietaryware installed,
due both to legal issues (I can't agree to the eula and won't agree to
accept their liability waivers for what is after all black-box software so
I can't see what it's doing, how am I supposed to agree to accept
responsibility for it?) and because I simply value my freedom more than
the temporary convenience such software might be, so I wouldn't install it
even if those legal issues didn't exist.  Since flash is well known for
both security and stability issues, my browsing sessions should be less
troublesome due to that, as well.