Firefox going awol for a while

kde at mail.kde.org kde at mail.kde.org
Thu Apr 7 13:05:33 BST 2011

On Thursday 07 Apr 2011 11:33:06 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 07 April 2011 10:12:18 kde at mail.kde.org wrote:
> > This is a bit similar to the spell check problem on kmail only much
> > shorter duration. Basically
> >
> > 10 to 12 active tabs and I open a fresh window from one of those from
> > time to time. May also open tabs in that. Then close it and go back to
> > the main one. ;-) works for me. The main window has been up for 14hrs
> > but don't think that has anything to do with it.
> >
> > Several times while using firefox in this way it hangs for maybe a min or
> > more and then decides to catch up.
> >
> > I have also had a black screen for a few seconds on several occasions
> > while using various apps.
> >
> > Are these related to power save by any chance? I have used pc for a long
> > time so always disable them. I might spend many mins reading and thinking
> > about something or the other and the start up time gets annoying. A
> > desktop power save button to activate it would be far more suitable.
> >
> > holp - it was working a few secs ago - spell check not here again. was a
> > few seconds ago - UNDERLINING WORDS WHILE I TYPED THEM RATHER THAN
> > WAITING FOR THE END
> > Notice all caps also goes further across the page.
> >
> > Regards
> > John
> > OpenSuse 11.4 KDE 4.6.0 release 6
>
> Are you sure you have enough RAM for all this?  Every tab uses a fair
> amount of memory, and when it is used up you will get swapping occurring.
>
> Anne
4gig installed, 2.0 free + 1.3 caches. Intel 6700 core 2 duo 2.66 ghz

I'm a running 32bit because my previous 10.x instal was 64bit. At the time
many apps were not available for 64. Didn't want to risk the same thing again
and no time to check.

Me thinks that power save may have something to do with the firefox aspect but
as far as I am aware I have disabled it at the kde level.

John