SSH Forward KDE applications

Iacopo Spalletti avvisi at spalletti.it
Tue Apr 5 21:55:12 BST 2011

Alle 07:59 di Sunday 03 April 2011, phanisvara das ha scritto:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:08:36 +0530, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:
> > Iacopo Spalletti posted on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 23:26:54 +0200 as excerpted:
> >> Hi, I used to execute kde apps via ssh, with minor or major glitches.
> >> So, which is the best way to correctly setup the console environment to
> >> execute the properly kde apps via ssh forwarding? I guess the major
> >> issue is talking with the "right" dbus session: should I start a new one
> >> or should I attach to the existing "server-side"?
> >> Thanks for any clarification
> >
> > Just replying so you know the post made it.  FWIW I only do CLI SSH here,
> > having not setup X forwarding or the like, so I can't really help, except
> > simply to say yes, the post made it and is visible, so hopefully someone
> > else will be able to help.
>
> i'm probably missing something here, since i never had to worry about
> different dbus sessions using ssh forwarding. what i do to get KDE (or
> other) apps to execute remotely, is connect from a user console via "ssh
> -X <user-name>@<server-name|IP addr.>. this gives me X-forwarding from the
> user account. in order to remotely execute apps. as root, i have to first
> copy ~/.Xauthority from the (remote) user account to (remote) /root, then
> that works as well.

I've no problem calling kde (or any X) applications via SSH; but kde ones
sometime doesn't show up correctly client side (for example kopete starts -and
i can see the process server side- but I can't see contact list on the client
and I have to show it up via dbus) or upon closing they leaves lots of
processes active behind (even closing ssh console from which they were
started) like knotify, dbus-daemon etc
So I was wondering if there is "something special" to do to correctly start a
KDE app
I'll run some more test to find patterns or error cases.
Thanks for your help

--
Regards
IS