SSH Forward KDE applications

phanisvara das listmail at phanisvara.com
Sun Apr 3 06:59:32 BST 2011

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 11:08:36 +0530, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net> wrote:

> Iacopo Spalletti posted on Sat, 02 Apr 2011 23:26:54 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> Hi, I used to execute kde apps via ssh, with minor or major glitches.
>> So, which is the best way to correctly setup the console environment to
>> execute the properly kde apps via ssh forwarding? I guess the major
>> issue is talking with the "right" dbus session: should I start a new one
>> or should I attach to the existing "server-side"?
>> Thanks for any clarification
>
> Just replying so you know the post made it.  FWIW I only do CLI SSH here,
> having not setup X forwarding or the like, so I can't really help, except
> simply to say yes, the post made it and is visible, so hopefully someone
> else will be able to help.

i'm probably missing something here, since i never had to worry about different dbus sessions using ssh forwarding. what i do to get KDE (or other) apps to execute remotely, is connect from a user console via "ssh -X <user-name>@<server-name|IP addr.>. this gives me X-forwarding from the user account. in order to remotely execute apps. as root, i have to first copy ~/.Xauthority from the (remote) user account to (remote) /root, then that works as well.

--
phani.