Sounds works in Dragon Player but not Kaffeine

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss at iguanasuicide.net
Sun Apr 3 01:29:13 BST 2011

Sound works in Dragon Player, but not Kaffeine.  I'd prefer to use Kaffeine,
because I have a playlist of files I'd like to play on my second monitor
while I play with Haskell on my primary monitor.  I don't want to have to
fiddle with the video player after each video.

I'm on Linux, specifically Debian Squeeze.  Within those constraints, the
system is up-to-date.

Kaffeine identifies as:
Kaffeine
Version 1.0
Using KDE Development Platform 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)

Dragon Player identifies as:
Dragon Player
Version 2.0
Using KDE Development Platform 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)

KDE identifies as:
KDE - Be Free!
Platform Version 4.4.5 (KDE 4.4.5)

Kaffeine output when run from the command-line:
$ kaffeine --nofork
kaffeine(37797)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing
"/usr/share/mime/magic"
kaffeine(37797)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory::parseMagic: Now parsing
"/home/bss/.local/share/mime/magic"

I've tried removing .kde/share/apps/kaffeine and .kde/share/config/kaffeinerc
to no effect.  I repeated the removal, logged out/in of KDE, and tried
Kaffeine, again to no effect.

KMix and ALSAMixer agree on settings, with nothing that looks important
muted.  Also, event sounds and Amarok play fine as well.

Any tips?  At this point, I'm thinking I need to dabble in to Debian testing
or unstable at least for Kaffeine, but I'd prefer not to.
bss at iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))