username in ftp:// urls

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sun Sep 19 06:59:04 BST 2010

Barna Daniel posted on Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:15:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> I would like to set up an emacs wrapper script, which can be used to
> open remote files (ftp:// for example). Emacs uses the
> /ftp:username at hostname:dir/file syntax for these files, hence the
> necessity of this wrapper, because kde (dolphin, for example) gives the
> remote file's url as ftp://hostname/dir/file. I can simply transform
> this string, that would not be a problem. But the username is not
> provided in the url. Is there a possibility to provide also the username
> in kde's remote urls?

AFAIK, KDE's simply passing on the URL it gets (from wherever).  If the
URL it gets has the username in it, it'll pass that on.  If it doesn't, it
doesn't.

Which means, if you're putting it in as a bookmark, fill in the username@
bit and kde should keep it.

Else... since you were talking wrapper script and I do mostly bash
scripting here, I was already creating a picture in my head of a big bash
case statement.  Case $URL in... with the pattern matching some place you
have have a user account, and the commands substituting in the appropriate
username@ bit.  A dozen different places with user accounts would be a
dozen different case-matches...