Middle-mouse clicks in Konqueror cause problems

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Sep 2 07:33:46 BST 2010

Jaap Winius posted on Thu, 02 Sep 2010 00:10:12 +0200 as excerpted:

> Konqueror has been my main browser for many years, but these days, with
> Debian squeeze and KDE 4.4.5, it's getting me into a lot of trouble. In
> particular, use of the middle mouse button in Konqueror, whether to open
> a link in a new tab or simply to paste text, causes the mouse to
> virtually stop functioning: it can still be moved, but left and right
> clicks do nothing. Even if all Konqueror processes are killed, the mouse
> remains useless. Full functionality is only restored if the user first
> logs out and back in again (or KDE is restarted).
>
> This looks like a general KDE bug, except that it seems only to be
> triggered by the use of the middle mouse button in Konqueror. Keyboard
> control, however, is still possible. Otherwise, actions with the middle
> mouse button in all other applications do not seem to trigger the
> problem.
>
> Unfortunately, this problem is difficult to reproduce. On one occasion I
> tried to force it to occur not long after starting a desktop session,
> but without any luck. I've mostly learned to avoid using the middle
> mouse button in Konqueror, which allows me to continue work
> indefinitely. However, some two months after first encountering this
> problem, a single middle mouse click in Konqueror can still effectively
> bring the session to an end.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what can be done about
> it?

I had either the same problem, or one with very similar symptoms (I never
narrowed it down to konqueror, tho I know it did occur there), with one or
more of the 4.4.x releases, but I think it disappeared with 4.4.5 for me.
I'm on Gentoo (and now on 4.5.0, probably upgrading to 4.5.1 later 2nite).
Perhaps Gentoo backported the fix from 4.5 to 4.4.5, and Debian didn't?

Or maybe it's a qt4 issue, not a kde issue, and it was a qt upgrade that
fixed it?  FWIW, looking at the dates in the qt-core package changelog
(Gentoo changelog, not qt-upstream), it appears qt-4.6.3 was introduced on
June 8, and based on my binpkg dates, I upgraded to it four days later, on
the 12th.  That seems reasonable for the time at which I might have ceased
having the problem.  Meanwhile, 4.6.2 entered the tree in mid-February,
according to the changelog, which seems reasonable for the time at which I
might have started having the problem.  So it could indeed be a qt issue.

What version of qt do you have installed?  As mentioned, I have 4.6.3
installed here, and don't have the problem.  If you have 4.6.2 installed,
that could very well be it.  Try upgrading to 4.6.3 and see if it helps.
Of course as I'm on Gentoo and you're on Debian (Squeeze, but that doesn't
tell me anything, I'm on Gentoo), I've no clue what the Debian current
libraries are or what it might take to upgrade qt, but the dates do seem
to coincide with the qt versions here, so...