Middle-mouse clicks in Konqueror cause problems

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Wed Sep 1 23:10:12 BST 2010

Hi folks,

Konqueror has been my main browser for many years, but these days,
with Debian squeeze and KDE 4.4.5, it's getting me into a lot of
trouble. In particular, use of the middle mouse button in Konqueror,
whether to open a link in a new tab or simply to paste text, causes
the mouse to virtually stop functioning: it can still be moved, but
left and right clicks do nothing. Even if all Konqueror processes are
killed, the mouse remains useless. Full functionality is only restored
if the user first logs out and back in again (or KDE is restarted).

This looks like a general KDE bug, except that it seems only to be
triggered by the use of the middle mouse button in Konqueror. Keyboard
control, however, is still possible. Otherwise, actions with the
middle mouse button in all other applications do not seem to trigger
the problem.

Unfortunately, this problem is difficult to reproduce. On one occasion
I tried to force it to occur not long after starting a desktop
session, but without any luck. I've mostly learned to avoid using the
middle mouse button in Konqueror, which allows me to continue work
indefinitely. However, some two months after first encountering this
problem, a single middle mouse click in Konqueror can still
effectively bring the session to an end.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? If so, what can be done about it?

Thanks,

Jaap