shut off auto-maximize when hitting top of screen?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Sep 2 06:54:39 BST 2010

John Stile posted on Wed, 01 Sep 2010 14:21:56 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 02:34 +0530, phanisvara das wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 02, 2010 02:11:48 am John Stile wrote:
>> > How do I shut that off auto-maximize off
>>
>> personal settings -> window behavior -> screen edges

> That didn't quite get me there, but searching for 'edge' in the search
> bar of  systemsettings brought me to: Look & Feel->Desktop->Screen
> Edges->"Maximize windows by dragging them to the top of the screen"
> Thank you!

(Rearranged to standard quote/reply order.  Please use it on the lists as
it makes replying in context /so/ much easier.)

I turned it off when I upgraded as well (I run the latest from upstream
and the gentoo/kde overlay, tho, so have 4.5 now, altho I've not yet done
the 4.5.1 upgrade... maybe later 2nite).  I have dual monitors, stacked,
and found the behavior irritating when it happened at the top of the
bottom monitor.  OTOH, I sure use the drag-to-screen-side half-maximize
functionality!  But I've seen others, particularly those with narrow
enough displays that half-width-maximized isn't a useful size for them,
who hate that, but love the drag-to-top-maximize thing.

After a bit of thought, I decided most will probably find one /or/ the
other quite useful, but relatively few will find /both/ useful.  It's nice
that both are enabled by default to aid in initial discovery of the
features, but also very good that they are each separately togglable.

A note for when you upgrade to 4.5.  They rearranged kcontrol (wrongly aka
system settings, as it's mostly not system settings, but user-specific and
kde specific settings, so kde3's kcontrol name was more accurate... and
more googlable) with 4.5, changing the hierarchy a bit to hopefully make
it more logical.  I think they succeeded, but during the transition when
some are on 4.4 (or earlier) and others on 4.5, it does tend to screw
things up a bit.  Anyway, on 4.5 that particular setting is under
Workspace Appearance and Behavior, Window Behavior, Screen Edges.  (I
don't know where the personal settings thing fits in; maybe that's a
distribution modification?)  So the top level location changed, but it's
still found in kcontrol/systemsettings, in the Screen Edges kcm (kcontrol
module... they still have that extension, despite the generic and
inaccurate nature of the new name).