kmix has become a no error, no run utility with recent updates

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Oct 25 23:34:06 BST 2010

On Monday, October 25, 2010 06:31:30 pm Duncan did opine:

> gene heskett posted on Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:33:33 -0400 as excerpted:
> > kmix --version
> > Qt: 4.7.0
> > KDE Development Platform: 4.5.2 (KDE 4.5.2) KMix: 3.7
> >
> > As supplied by pclos-2010.7 & all updates.
> >
> > Has it been deprecated?  If so, what replaces it?
>
> This reply might be of limited value since (1) I'm on Gentoo, (2) my
> main machine is kde 4.5.2 but without kmix installed as its output is
> digital to my 5.1 home system and all it can do is toggle that on and
> off (I use the 5.1's volume), and (3) I use kmix on my netbook but it's
> still running kde 4.4.5.  Never-the-less, it might help...
>
> Two notes:
>
> 1) In kde 4.5, the way tray apps (like kmix) work has changed a bit.
> Again, as I don't have 4.5's kmix actually installed anywhere, I don't
> know the details, but in general, check the system tray options.  kmix
> should be one of the new line-art icons used for "system service" type
> functionality.  If the options are set incorrectly, you may not see it.
> Since I've not used that version of kmix, I'm not exactly sure how it
> behaves in-tray vs the former full applet mode, but it may be that it's
> these changes that are confusing you.
>
> 2) Until you get kmix working, you can try the "semi-GUI" curses based
> alsamixer or the CLI based amixer (good for scripting), run in a konsole
> window.  This assumes standard ALSA based sound.  I don't run
> pulseaudio, however, so how it might interplay with ALSA or what is
> used to control it, I don't know and you'll need to look elsewhere for
> answers on it.

I am not precisely sure that pulse is playing here on pclos. Audio
generally works fine except on some ABC News stories, which are silent for
some reason.

Thanks, I forgot to say that in a couple other replies in this thread, so
many thanks to all who replied.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)