kmix has become a no error, no run utility with recent updates

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Oct 25 22:43:28 BST 2010

gene heskett posted on Mon, 25 Oct 2010 11:33:33 -0400 as excerpted:

> kmix --version
> Qt: 4.7.0
> KDE Development Platform: 4.5.2 (KDE 4.5.2) KMix: 3.7
>
> As supplied by pclos-2010.7 & all updates.
>
> Has it been deprecated?  If so, what replaces it?

This reply might be of limited value since (1) I'm on Gentoo, (2) my main
machine is kde 4.5.2 but without kmix installed as its output is digital
to my 5.1 home system and all it can do is toggle that on and off (I use
the 5.1's volume), and (3) I use kmix on my netbook but it's still running
kde 4.4.5.  Never-the-less, it might help...

Two notes:

1) In kde 4.5, the way tray apps (like kmix) work has changed a bit.
Again, as I don't have 4.5's kmix actually installed anywhere, I don't
know the details, but in general, check the system tray options.  kmix
should be one of the new line-art icons used for "system service" type
functionality.  If the options are set incorrectly, you may not see it.
Since I've not used that version of kmix, I'm not exactly sure how it
behaves in-tray vs the former full applet mode, but it may be that it's
these changes that are confusing you.

2) Until you get kmix working, you can try the "semi-GUI" curses based
alsamixer or the CLI based amixer (good for scripting), run in a konsole
window.  This assumes standard ALSA based sound.  I don't run pulseaudio,
however, so how it might interplay with ALSA or what is used to control
it, I don't know and you'll need to look elsewhere for answers on it.