Thread Hijacking

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 19 03:20:24 BST 2010

On 2010/06/18 09:45 (GMT-0700) Refr Bruhl composed:

> Sorry I still stand by my view this is a listserv/client software issue. This is not a deleiberate attempt at thread hijacking.

Not deliberate != not hijacked. Intent is irrelevant. The reply button is for
composing a response to an existing message. The compose/new buttons are for
composing a new message that is not a response to some other message. Using
the former when not composing a topical response to an existing message is
hijacking regardless of intent.

> Yahoo, IBM, Free Pascal, Adobe, and a host of other listserv groups I belong to do not have this issue.

I'm on more than 75. All are the same WRT threading/hijacking. It's just not
apparent when using web mail rather than a dedicated MUA.

> I use this same technique with those. Only the KDE out of abut 20 groups I
belong to has this issue.

In the headers of your message is:

This is not a conformant user agent currently capable of utilizing message ID
headers required for threads to be displayed as threads based on references
instead of emulating threads based upon subject line.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/