starting kde in cygwin 1.7

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Fri Jun 18 10:55:32 BST 2010

Refr Bruhl posted on Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:46:00 -0700 as excerpted:

> very simple...
>
> Its starting a new thread.

/Now/ you start a new thread...

> if the subject is changed and the content is deleted then why would it
> be hijacking a thread?

Because the subject and content (save for a couple normally not shown in
most clients headers) are irrelevant to whether it's threaded or not, in a
properly threaded client.  What determines threading is, as I said, a
couple of headers, specifically, the in-reply-to header which your client
adds when it's a reply via mail, and the references header, which is a
list of parent posts, up to the original post of the thread.

> That is an issue for the list mods as its something in the listserv
> software.

It's not the list-serv software, it's your client that inserts the header
when you hit reply.  The whole idea is to allow the subject header to
change, without interrupting the threading.

> What I did is no differnt than opening up a new e-mail and entering the
> information.

Yes, it is, because your client included the in-reply-to header.

> The other email you alluided to is enclosed. I simply went to my sent
> folder and clicked forward.

You clicked forward, and it forwarded inline, only the message content of
the original messages, not the headers, which does no good, since it's the
headers that count.

The technical information can be found in the wikipedia article on email,
particularly in the message header fields section, and in the RFCs, the
documents which define the standards by which the Internet works.  See RFCs
5322 (Internet Message Format, status: Standards track, to supersede 2822,
Date: Oct, 2008), 2822 (Internet Message Format, Status: Proposed
Standard, to be superseded by 5322 and superseding 0822, Date: Apr, 2001),
and 0822 (Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages, Status:
Standard, being superseded by 2822 and 5322, Date: Aug, 1982), and the
current status listing, STD1 Internet Official Protocol Standards listing
document (currently RFC 5000, which superseded RFC3700, which
superseded..., current date, May, 2008)

For your convenience (the document itself, and the specific section, both
linked):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail#Header_fields

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.4

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.6.4

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?doc=std1
(Just do a text-search for the RFC you're looking for.)

And here's someone else's explanation of why not to start a new topic with
a reply, in the context of a mail thread such as this one:
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/84685

FWIW, those were all found within a few minutes of googling, something you
could have done as well as I, tho it did take  somewhat longer to put all
the information together in this post.

> So the question is how or why do you think I am hijacking your e0-mail
> threads? What evidence do you have for that?
>
> If you have valid evidence of that then the list mods need to know so
> they can fix the software. Otherwise the drama needs to end.

The software, including yours, is going by the RFCs, the Internet
definitional specifications, by providing those headers.  Whether it uses
them for threading itself is of course up to the one who programmed that
software, but it's providing them, as it's supposed to.  All you have to
do is take a look at your headers.