Dual display settings not saved from KDE under Fedora 12 or 13

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Mon Jun 14 18:43:26 BST 2010

On Monday 14 June 2010 16:21:34 Duncan wrote:
> Barry Scott posted on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:36:01 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > I'm running KDE 4.4.3 on Fedora 13 (this also was not working on Fedora
> > 12).
> >
> > I'm using KDE desktop and setting up a dual display configuration Using
> > the System Settings/Display/Size and Orientation control panel. This all
> > works exactly as I need but the settings are lost after I restart the
> > system.
> >
> > How to I get the settings made in KDE to be permanent?
> >
> > I'm more then willing to dig into the code of Fedora startup or KDE to
> > help get this working. I would approciate a clue as to where the config
> > is stored and what is supposed to restore it.
>
> There may be a way to do it with kde, but I've always done my major config
> in xorg.conf, for years, since back before it was xorg.conf (when it was
> still xf86config, IIRC).  In fact, KDE's display config was totally broken
> (saw two monitors but for some reason, lacked the positioning dropdown,
> and tried to force clone mode) until a bug fix with kde 4.4, so I couldn't
> have used them if I'd wanted to.
>
> Since you said you're willing to dig into the code (not necessary unless
> xorg's bugged on your hardware, just setup xorg.conf correctly), that may
> work well for you, where it wouldn't for GUI-only users.
>
> Or, if you prefer a run-time dynamic config, you can use the scriptable
> command-line based xrandr.  That's what I use for temporary mid-session
> resolution switches, but a script could be setup to run when kde starts,
> if desired.
>
> If you need help with either of the above, just holler... and post info
> such as your xorg-server version, graphics hardware and drivers, kms mode
> or not, monitor resolutions and orientation, etc.  Hopefully fedora's
> running at least xorg-server 1.8, as it'll make things a lot simpler.  And
> hopefully you're not running servantware (see the sig) such as nvidia or
> frglx drivers, as I don't deal with that, tho to the degree it works with
> randr, at least that should work.
>
> Or just start with the xorg.conf and/or xrandr manpages, and see if that's
> sufficient.
>
> FWIW, xorg-server 1.8.1.901 and linus kernel 2.6.34 (soon to be the 2.6.35-
> rcs) with kms, here.  The desktop's running a Radeon hd4650 with the
> radeon driver (kms mode), and dual 1920x1200 monitors, stacked for
> 1920x2400.  I also have a netbook running Intel graphics, also KMS mode,
> but don't plugin an external monitor to it that much and only use the xorg-
> auto-detect graphics.

I could setup xorg.conf to force things. Buts that is not how the
modern Linux desktop is supposed to work right?

I login and my preferences get used. Expect that is not working.

I assumed that KDE will read my display config and do the xrandr
stuff that is necessary to setup my two displays.

KDE can clearly setup my displays as I do that every time I login
with the System Settings app.

When I click the apply button does KDE save my display settings
to disk?

When KDE starts up is it expected to read the settings back in?

Barry