Dual display settings not saved from KDE under Fedora 12 or 13

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Mon Jun 14 16:21:34 BST 2010

Barry Scott posted on Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:36:01 +0100 as excerpted:

> I'm running KDE 4.4.3 on Fedora 13 (this also was not working on Fedora
> 12).
>
> I'm using KDE desktop and setting up a dual display configuration Using
> the System Settings/Display/Size and Orientation control panel. This all
> works exactly as I need but the settings are lost after I restart the
> system.
>
> How to I get the settings made in KDE to be permanent?
>
> I'm more then willing to dig into the code of Fedora startup or KDE to
> help get this working. I would approciate a clue as to where the config
> is stored and what is supposed to restore it.

There may be a way to do it with kde, but I've always done my major config
in xorg.conf, for years, since back before it was xorg.conf (when it was
still xf86config, IIRC).  In fact, KDE's display config was totally broken
(saw two monitors but for some reason, lacked the positioning dropdown,
and tried to force clone mode) until a bug fix with kde 4.4, so I couldn't
have used them if I'd wanted to.

Since you said you're willing to dig into the code (not necessary unless
xorg's bugged on your hardware, just setup xorg.conf correctly), that may
work well for you, where it wouldn't for GUI-only users.

Or, if you prefer a run-time dynamic config, you can use the scriptable
command-line based xrandr.  That's what I use for temporary mid-session
resolution switches, but a script could be setup to run when kde starts,
if desired.

If you need help with either of the above, just holler... and post info
such as your xorg-server version, graphics hardware and drivers, kms mode
or not, monitor resolutions and orientation, etc.  Hopefully fedora's
running at least xorg-server 1.8, as it'll make things a lot simpler.  And
hopefully you're not running servantware (see the sig) such as nvidia or
frglx drivers, as I don't deal with that, tho to the degree it works with
randr, at least that should work.

Or just start with the xorg.conf and/or xrandr manpages, and see if that's
sufficient.

FWIW, xorg-server 1.8.1.901 and linus kernel 2.6.34 (soon to be the 2.6.35-
rcs) with kms, here.  The desktop's running a Radeon hd4650 with the
radeon driver (kms mode), and dual 1920x1200 monitors, stacked for
1920x2400.  I also have a netbook running Intel graphics, also KMS mode,
but don't plugin an external monitor to it that much and only use the xorg-
auto-detect graphics.