Scrollbars hard to see

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 13 23:09:18 GMT 2010

Duncan wrote:
> Anne Wilson posted on Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:40:38 +0000 as excerpted:
>> It is not expected that most people will fiddle with these details.
>> Usually, choosing a theme to suit your needs is adequate.  For those
>> that do feel the need, giving access to as many items as possible is the
>> only way to address that - as you can see from reading Dotan's thread.
>
> FWIW, that's part of the problem, some settings are NOT exposed directly,
> but are set "automagically", in ways entirely unintuitive and
> unpredicatable to the typical sysadmin type used to being able to set
> something and have it affect just that, not that and a half dozen other
> things there was no warning would change as they don't appear to be
> connected at all to the setting that was actually changed.
>
> It wouldn't be half as complicated, if various items weren't
> "automagically" set, to what could well be entirely unsuitable half-way
> colors, based on the setting of not one but two (maybe more?) other
> settings.  If those half-way settings were exposed as directly settable
> in themselves, the side effects of setting one thing and having it affect
> something else entirely unexpected, because it wasn't even the specified
> color, would disappear, making the entire thing much more directly and
> intuitively cause-effect predictable, and thus much less complicated,
> even if there ends up being five times the actual number of settings to
> tweak.

Sorry for the (very) late reply - I am still ~300 mails behind on a few
lists (this being one, obviously). Can you be specific what colors are
not suitable and you feel you need to set yourself?

I only know of two classes of colors that cannot be set manually:

- Additional backgrounds
These are set based on Normal background and the respective text role.
They shouldn't be a problem unless you are using text/background colors
that are distinguishable only by hue/chroma but not luma. In the generic
sense, such color combinations should be taken to the woodshed and shot
as they are almost guaranteed to be illegible to anyone with difficulty
distinguishing colors (and aren't great for people with normal color
vision either). Of course you are free to choose such combinations
yourself. The problem here is making them customizable (which wouldn't
be unreasonable, but...) means adding another 30 colors that can be tweaked.

- Shades
These would be the lighter/darker/shadow of some colors, usually normal
background of some set, used for 3D effects and other things (e.g. might
be used for the lines in a tree view, in some styles). These are...
well, darker or lighter than the respective color, influenced somewhat
by the 'contrast' setting. Configuring these isn't feasible, as the
'built in' shades are more in the nature of suggestions or convenience,
and it's not unusual for a style to skip KColorScheme::Shade and
(ideally) use the KColorUtils functions directly. There isn't any normal
way to configure this because you can take an arbitrary shade (i.e. not
limited to the ones in KCS) of an arbitrary color. The best you can do
if these are a problem is complain to the style/application author,
unless you can identify a systemic problem in KColorScheme::Shade.

Neither of the above should be at all unpredictable... nor even
unintuitive (except perhaps that the "shadow" shade of black is closer
to white, and the "highlight" shade of white is closer to black).

Of course, certain applications/styles may do additional things that are
outside the direct scope of the system scheme.

--
Matthew
FOSS: Giving people the cage and it's blueprints, gratis. The "L" matters.