KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jan 7 11:22:34 GMT 2010

James Tyrer posted on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:07:26 -0700 as excerpted:

> However, these instructions are wrong:
>
> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Starting_KDE
>
> I suggest that you try this for your ~/.xinitrc file:
>
> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>
> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
>
> exec startkde

According to the dbus-launch manpage I have here, the instructions at the
given URL (the starting dbus ones) appear to do about the same thing,
except that dbus instance should start and stop with the session, which
is what's desired if you're doing it that way.  Why are they wrong?

Here's the (single) line they use (minus the echo to the ~/.xinitrc bit),
reprinted here for comparison:

exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde