KDE 4.3.4 cannot start

James Tyrer jrtyrer at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 18:11:15 GMT 2010

Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:07:26 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> However, these instructions are wrong:
>>
>> http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org/index.php/Starting_KDE
>>
>> I suggest that you try this for your ~/.xinitrc file:
>>
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>>

>> eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
>>
>> exec startkde
>>
>> ------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------8<------
>>

> According to the dbus-launch manpage I have here, the instructions at
> the given URL (the starting dbus ones) appear to do about the same
> thing, except that dbus instance should start and stop with the
> session, which is what's desired if you're doing it that way.  Why
> are they wrong?
>
> Here's the (single) line they use (minus the echo to the ~/.xinitrc
> bit), reprinted here for comparison:
>
> exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde

First, there is an error is in this line:

echo "exec dbus-launch --exit-with-session startkde" >> ~/.xinitrc

Note the ">>", that is wrong.

I have to say that I do not know exactly why the D-Bus documentation
said to do this:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`

as you probably know, using "eval" make the command take effect in the
current Bash session.  Which appears to be what you want.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch