Getting privately compiled KDE modules working in full KDE session

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Feb 17 14:03:02 GMT 2010

Chris Jones posted on Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:32:20 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hi,
>
> I've running KDE 3.5.4 on SLC5. I have privately built kdesvn and
> installed it in a custom location (/usera/jonesc/usr/local).
>
> I've tried defining
>
> export KDEDIRS="/usr:/usera/jonesc/usr/local" export
> PATH="/usera/jonesc/usr/local/bin:"$PATH export
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usera/jonesc/usr/local/lib64"
>
> and if I ssh into the machine in question and start konqueror, then I
> can see the kdesvn view plugin is available.
>
> However, if I start a full KDE X session on the machine, then my private
> kdesvn plugin is not available. I've added the above export lines to all
> .XYZ files I can think might effect the login environment, but none have
> helped (.profile, .login, .xsession etc. etc.)

You didn't mention your .bashrc (or whatever, if you're running a shell
other than bash).  .profile and etc run when you're starting a login
session. .bashrc and etc run otherwise.  That it runs when you ssh in sort
of confirms that, as that'd be a login, thus running the login scripts.
See the bash info pages or manpage for more on that.  But I'm not sure
that'd do it (unless you started it from a konsole window.)

> Has anyone done anything similar, and has advice on how to get the
> private KDEDIRS working in a full X session ? I'm probably jsut not
> setting the environment variables in the right file, or in the right way

You don't mention whether you're logging in at the text terminal and
running startx, or whether you're running a *DM (KDM, GDM, XDM, etc)
graphical login.  Years ago back on Mandrake, I had problems with the *DM
at some point, and switched entirely to the text shell login and startx
method.  I've used it since.

Since I startx from a bash session, it was a small step from that to
setting up a script that setup various environmental variables for me
before invoking startx.  In fact, I started by simply setting the XSESSION
variable to kde-3.3 or whatever it was back then, and the script grew a
bit over the years, changing the path, exporting KDEDIR, KDETMP,
KDEVARTMP, etc, running a kbuildsycoca, that sort of stuff, before running
startx and the associated KDE session.  Since that's all setup in the
environment before X and KDE starts, it simply inherits from the existing
environment.

But as I gave up on *DMs many years ago, I don't have the foggiest how
that sort of stuff is handled with them, except that I'm sure there must
be arrangements for doing it; I just don't know what they are.  If I were
to set a *DM up, I'd certainly be checking the documentation to see how
all that worked, and setting up my config files accordingly.