kde 3, 4, 4.5[?] How to install to kde 4 (or newer)?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 14 03:06:23 GMT 2010

On 2010/02/14 03:17 (GMT+0200) Erik Ohls composed:

> ....in PCLinuxOS. You can have any number of desktop
> environments installed at the same time to choose from at login -- with the
> exception of KDE3 and KDE4. There it's either one or the other -- unless you
> are willing to do quite a lot of tweaking.

> On the other hand upgrading to KDE4 is fast and easy if you follow the
> instructions on the PCLOS forum. Waiting a couple of days might be a good idea
> though: PCLinuxOS 2010 is expected very soon.

Most recent systems have HDs so large that it's actually kind of dumb not to
multiboot instead of replacing a whole OS. When you install another in
addition instead of replacing, you have the opportunity to evaluate without
losing anything you had to start with except a small fraction of HD space.
When you add an OS, and don't like it, you can just not use it, and continue
to use what you had, and later use the space for whichever you don't prefer
for the next trial that comes along. An added bonus is that if you corrupt
one OS on a multiboot system, it can be quite easy to fix by booting another,
instead of having to find and boot some removable media's rescue system.

I have over 30 working computers, of which most have at least 3 installed
OSes, several 8 or more, and a few with more than a dozen each. About
multiboot: http://fm.no-ip.com/partitioningindex.html
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/