corrupted minute/hour hands on any analog clock

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Dec 31 00:37:23 GMT 2010

On Thursday, December 30, 2010 04:08:49 pm Duncan <1i5t5.duncan at cox.net>
wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk posted on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:11:37 -0700 as excerpted:
> > Kde 3.5.3 on Fedora 13
> >
> > Can anyone explain why the minute/hour hands on any analog clock I
> > try, no matter what theme, inevitably get corrupted. Mostly the hour
> > hand, never the second hand. KSnapshot and KGrab are pretty much
> > guaranteed to do it, but other things do too though I don't see a
> > pattern. Sometimes from just browsing in Konqueror.
> >
> > I solve it by toggling the clock theme in Workspace Appearance ->
> > Desktop Theme -> Details. Has anyone got a DBUS script that would do
> > the same?
>
> kde 3.5.3 or 4.5.3?  Because the problem certainly happens in 4.5, here.
>
> AFAIK the problem is graphics accel related.  I had figured it was a kde
> 4 only bug, related to OpenGL based painting, but if it's happening in
> kde 3 as well, the problem is much more graphics-basic than I thought,
> since AFAIK, kde3 doesn't use OpenGL that much.  Also, workspace
> appearance settings on kde3??  I know kde4 has that, but kde3?  So I'm
> guessing you mean kde 4.5.3.
>
> Anyway, here, it only seems to happen when I first start kde and/or
> restart plasma-desktop. (Sometimes I kill plasma-desktop temporarily,
> since doing that and restarting it later is easier than resetting a big
> panel from always-on-top to auto-hide, and then reversing that later.  I
> miss kde3's little buttons to scroll the panels out of the way
> temporarily!)  Once fixed, it seems to stay fixed until I restart
> plasma- desktop again, either by itself or restarting kde/X.
>
> And my temporary fix is to go into analog clock settings and toggle the
> show seconds hand or timezone  option and OK-out, to fix it, then go
> back in and do it again to get my preferred display (neither shown).
> That seems to force a repaint that fixes it for that plasma-desktop
> session.
>
> Since it's a graphics issue, the graphics hardware/drivers is apropos.
> Here I'm running an ATI/AMD Radeon hd4650 (rv730 chip, according to the
> dmesg and X's log), with the native freedomware kernel/mesa/X Radeon
> drivers.  Software environment is Gentoo/~amd64, latest mesa 7.9, xorg-
> server 1.9.2 (1.9.3's out, but has a performance regression here so I
> masked it and am still on 1.9.2), xf86-video-ati 6.13.2.  I run direct
> Linus git kernels, currently 2.6.37-rc7 plus, and use KMS/kernel-mode-
> setting.  KDE version is 4.5.4.  However, the problem has been around
> for awhile, since at least kde 4.4 and possibly the entire kde4 series,
> so it's not a recent regression.

Sorry - not paying enough attention - 4.5.3.

My video card is a nVidia 8400GS; I use the nouveau driver.

Along with the clock hands, various icons on the Task Manager get the same
treatment - like they've been every-other-line sampled. Pretty much only
KDE icons - never SeaMonkey or Firefox or VMWare, but almost always Kopete,
KAlarm, Konqueror and KMail icons. Never Konsole though.