corrupted minute/hour hands on any analog clock

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 30 23:08:49 GMT 2010

Jerome Yuzyk posted on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:11:37 -0700 as excerpted:

> Kde 3.5.3 on Fedora 13
>
> Can anyone explain why the minute/hour hands on any analog clock I try,
> no matter what theme, inevitably get corrupted. Mostly the hour hand,
> never the second hand. KSnapshot and KGrab are pretty much guaranteed to
> do it, but other things do too though I don't see a pattern. Sometimes
> from just browsing in Konqueror.
>
> I solve it by toggling the clock theme in Workspace Appearance ->
> Desktop Theme -> Details. Has anyone got a DBUS script that would do the
> same?

kde 3.5.3 or 4.5.3?  Because the problem certainly happens in 4.5, here.

AFAIK the problem is graphics accel related.  I had figured it was a kde 4
only bug, related to OpenGL based painting, but if it's happening in kde 3
as well, the problem is much more graphics-basic than I thought, since
AFAIK, kde3 doesn't use OpenGL that much.  Also, workspace appearance
settings on kde3??  I know kde4 has that, but kde3?  So I'm guessing you
mean kde 4.5.3.

Anyway, here, it only seems to happen when I first start kde and/or
restart plasma-desktop. (Sometimes I kill plasma-desktop temporarily,
since doing that and restarting it later is easier than resetting a big
panel from always-on-top to auto-hide, and then reversing that later.  I
miss kde3's little buttons to scroll the panels out of the way
temporarily!)  Once fixed, it seems to stay fixed until I restart plasma-
desktop again, either by itself or restarting kde/X.

And my temporary fix is to go into analog clock settings and toggle the
show seconds hand or timezone  option and OK-out, to fix it, then go back
in and do it again to get my preferred display (neither shown).  That
seems to force a repaint that fixes it for that plasma-desktop session.

Since it's a graphics issue, the graphics hardware/drivers is apropos.
Here I'm running an ATI/AMD Radeon hd4650 (rv730 chip, according to the
dmesg and X's log), with the native freedomware kernel/mesa/X Radeon
drivers.  Software environment is Gentoo/~amd64, latest mesa 7.9, xorg-
server 1.9.2 (1.9.3's out, but has a performance regression here so I
masked it and am still on 1.9.2), xf86-video-ati 6.13.2.  I run direct
Linus git kernels, currently 2.6.37-rc7 plus, and use KMS/kernel-mode-
setting.  KDE version is 4.5.4.  However, the problem has been around for
awhile, since at least kde 4.4 and possibly the entire kde4 series, so
it's not a recent regression.