Querying LDAP server configured in KAddressBook

Tassilo Horn tassilo at member.fsf.org
Wed Aug 18 07:27:05 BST 2010

On Wednesday 18 August 2010 02:39:21 Duncan wrote:

Hi Duncan,

> > in KAddressBook (4.4.5) I have configured some LDAP server.  KMail's
> > composer successfully uses that to complete email addresses.
> >
> > But is there another interface for querying the LDAP server, so that
> > I can e.g. look for the room or phone number of a person?  Entering
> > search terms in KAddressBook's search/filter bar doesn't show
> > anything...
>
> kaddress book is all akonadified, and I believe there are various
> other akonadi tools available to query it.

Hm, that is strange.  I use KDE 4.5.0 but kdepim-4.4.5.  In
KAddressBook, there's Settings > Configure KAddressBook... > LDAP server
settings.  Adding the server there makes at least KMail gather email
addresses.

Additionally, I the akonadi options, I can add a Akonadi LDAP Resource.
But providing the same information as I added in the KAddressBook LDAP
settings gives the error message: Cannot access to server.  Please
reconfigure it.

Both configs seem to be completely disjunctive, AFAIKT...

> Ask on the kdepim developer list or poke around techbase.

I'll do that.

> Or, you should be able to use standard database access tools for
> whatever akonadi back-end you're using (4.4 defaulted to mysql, but
> there are experimental backends for postgres and virtuoso).

I used to use Postgres, but newer akonadi-servers refuse to work with
that.  They issue options to /usr/bin/postgres that are neither known by
version 8.4 nor by 9.0beta4...  So now I've migrated to MySQL (migrated
is an euphemism for "I threw away all what I've got".)

Bye,
Tassilo