issue details was KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Draciron Smith draciron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 00:22:19 BST 2010

> FWIW, kwrite and kate both use the same kpart.  kwrite is the "SDI"
> version, kate the "MDI" version.  (Single and multiple document interface.)

Aye but that's essentially the same app. Not the Kwrite of KDE 1.0
days. It is also not Kedit by any means.

> FWIW2, I don't have kate installed and use kwrite, but not heavily.
> Similarly, I don't use dolphin heavily.  Instead, for sysadmin type tasks,
> I use the "semi-gui" ncurses/slang based mc and mcedit, as I've grown
> accustomed to it and the interface is the same whether it's run in a text
> VT or a konsole window.  I've highly customized mc's F2/User menu, tho not
> so much mcedit's (yet).

I use Kwrite heavily right now because it's the closest to Kedit I've
found so far, but it's not working. It has way to heavy a mem
footprint, I also suspect is has a mem leak.

> For user type tasks, gwenview seems to work better as a filemanager, due
> to its integrated media handling, and that's where I use kwrite as well.

I use Krusader as my main file manager. I like the UI of Krusader. I
also hate having to switch to list view over and over again. Then on
those rare times I want an icon view I have to change but then it
always remembers that icon view for that. The drag and drop is clumsy.
Which Krusader I specifically choose, copy or move right from the
outset rather than the extra clicks. I deal with tens of thousands of
files at a time fairly frequently. Dolphin and similar file managers
are just not up to dealing with that many files. I also use extensions
on text files to help me sort files. A .lyr file for example is a
lyrics file. .poe is a poem.  I have hundreds of such conventions I've
been using since the DOS days. With Krusader if it doesn't have
anything else tied to it I can open by defualt as a text file which is
exactly what I want to do.  I can also easily run shell commands in
Krusader which can be a big time saver. So for me Krusader is by far a
better file manager. Most people don't get that involved with file
management. Most people have fewer than 10,000 user generated files on
their entire machine and most of those are images and or mp3s. Me I
have dirs with more than 10k of files and hundreds of dirs like that.
I have a million or more user generated files on any machine I've been
using for more than 6 months.

As a default file manager Krusader is probably not what you want but
for power users Krusader is something I highly recommend.

> Actually, Ionly use kwrite because it's the default text file associate
> on kde, and it's good enough that I've not bothered switching it to mcedit
> in a konsole window.  Otherwise, I'd use mcedit pretty much exclusively.
> With mc as my sysadmin fileman and gwenview so good as a user mode
> fileman, dolphin is pretty much in the same boat as kwrite -- I use it
> because it's good enough as a primary association, not because it really
> fits my needs.  But there's a bit of a difference in that dolphin /does/
> cover the middle ground, and if I set up either gwenview or mc in konsole
> as my primary association, about half the time I'd be wishing I'd started
> the other.  With text editing, OTOH, I'd be happy with mcedit in a konsole
> 100% of the time, I've just not bothered changing the association, as
> kwrite is "good enough".

I like the keybindings on Kedit . It's consistent with editors I've
been using since the DOS days and especially since the first KDE days.
Nedit works but it has the same mem footprint problems Kwrite has and
some of the same keybinding issues. What I really need is a very light
footprint editor that has a the KDE standard keybindings plus minimal
features such as spell check. If I want to change char sets, do fancy
stuff or edit code I'll use another editor. I'll pull up a full WP for
heavier stuff.  I like the way Kate organizes files but the project
oriented aspects and several other things drive me batty when using
Kate. Especially the fact it loses files if KDE goes down. I've lost a
good bit of work recently while trying to use Kate. KDE dies
unexpectedly and of course I haven't saved everything as Kedit and
Kwrite caches everything and I don't have to save. Machine goes down
when it comes back all those files are fine. In Kate only the first
file you open is restored the rest are lost.