issue details was KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Apr 29 17:45:09 BST 2010

Draciron Smith posted on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:57:24 -0500 as excerpted:

> Maybe they renamed Kwrite as it vanished from KDE for a time but Kedit
> and Kwrite both predate Kate. That Kwrite is a scaled down verison of
> Kate explains it's memory issues and the problems I've had with it. I
> like the concept of Kate but would have to seriously modify it to meet
> my needs. That's part of why I'm writing my own editor. Which if I ever
> get it done I'll release as open source but it's not going to be in C++.

FWIW, kwrite and kate both use the same kpart.  kwrite is the "SDI"
version, kate the "MDI" version.  (Single and multiple document interface.)

FWIW2, I don't have kate installed and use kwrite, but not heavily.
Similarly, I don't use dolphin heavily.  Instead, for sysadmin type tasks,
I use the "semi-gui" ncurses/slang based mc and mcedit, as I've grown
accustomed to it and the interface is the same whether it's run in a text
VT or a konsole window.  I've highly customized mc's F2/User menu, tho not
so much mcedit's (yet).

For user type tasks, gwenview seems to work better as a filemanager, due
to its integrated media handling, and that's where I use kwrite as well.
Actually, I only use kwrite because it's the default text file associate
on kde, and it's good enough that I've not bothered switching it to mcedit
in a konsole window.  Otherwise, I'd use mcedit pretty much exclusively.
With mc as my sysadmin fileman and gwenview so good as a user mode
fileman, dolphin is pretty much in the same boat as kwrite -- I use it
because it's good enough as a primary association, not because it really
fits my needs.  But there's a bit of a difference in that dolphin /does/
cover the middle ground, and if I set up either gwenview or mc in konsole
as my primary association, about half the time I'd be wishing I'd started
the other.  With text editing, OTOH, I'd be happy with mcedit in a konsole
100% of the time, I've just not bothered changing the association, as
kwrite is "good enough".