Fixes was 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Apr 29 17:10:27 BST 2010

Draciron Smith posted on Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:28:29 -0500 as excerpted:

> I hadn't rebooted in over 8
> months and had literally hundreds of apps that'd been open for months.
> That was when I moved to FC 12 and thus KDE 4 and what a shock that was
> LOL. I once got 5 years out of a RH 9 installation. That's my record. I
> went at one point 16 months between reboots. I love that stability.
> Please don't tell me KDE doesn't play well with mixing GTK and QT and
> others.

What kills me right now is the instability of the OpenGL effects on kde4,
given Radeon hd4650 graphics hardware, and the still new and unstable xf86-
video-ati, mesa, xorg, and kernel with kms.  That's locking me up like
MSWormOS used to, every day or two.  And it's a hard lock, too.  The magic
sysrq keys don't do anything, not even the reboot, so the kernel is
scrambled but good.

But they're working on it.  They're introducing a command-stream inspector
that should reject writes to memory outside the graphics area.  Once
that's in and everything stabilizes a bit, I expect I'll be back to
reasonably stable once again.

Meanwhile, you're right.  Other than such known issues, which I'm taking
by choice as I deliberately chose hardware at the bleeding edge of
support, and like the effects and am not going to disable them, there's no
reason why Linux can't stabily handle qt3/kde3, qt4/kde4, gtk1, gtk2/
gnome2, and openoffice apps, all at the same time, given a reasonable
amount of memory and swap.  Loading all those toolkits WILL take
additional memory, much of which can be swapped out over an uptime of
weeks, but there's no reason it can't be done and be stable doing it.