Fixes was 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at arcor.de
Thu Apr 29 17:45:21 BST 2010

On 04/29/2010 07:10 PM, Duncan wrote:
> [...] there's no reason why Linux can't stabily handle qt3/kde3,
> qt4/kde4, gtk1, gtk2/ gnome2, and openoffice apps, all at the same
> time, given a reasonable amount of memory and swap.  Loading all
> those toolkits WILL take additional memory, much of which can be
> swapped out over an uptime of weeks, but there's no reason it can't
> be done and be stable doing it.

The memory footprint of loading all those different libraries is rather
minimal.  We're talking about 100MB maximum.  It's not even worth
thinking about it these days.  It's definitely not enough to make
swapping kick-in; even the cheapest, ugliest, most low-end desktop
machines and laptops/netbooks you can now buy have at least two orders
of magnitude more RAM than that.  At least *I* never saw a machine with
less than 2GB RAM for sale since years now.