KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:08:30 BST 2010

>> The Good

> Modularity, flexibility,

Do you mean plasmoids? Other than that I do not see KDE as very
modular, though you are right about the flexibility as the Netbook
release shows.

> web integration on the desktop, kio (eg.: you can
> access an FTP server to store images from almost any KDE app).

Right! Thanks!

> Nokia support: qt, Maemo, KOffice for their mobile phones.

That would be flexibility, no?

>> The Bad

> We haven't been able to attract more developers/companies :(
>
> Companies don't support KDE as much as GNOME. At least, from a marketing point
> of view is what it looks like (Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, ...).
>
> Koffice has very interesting innovations ... but OOo attracts more
> attention/developers/customers (even though OOo has a small community of
> developers).

That might be bad for KDE, but I mean to ask what would be bad for a
potential user.

>> The Broken

> Since KDE SC 4.3 I've had very few issues on Arch Linux. KDE SC 4.2 was
> lacking some features, but I didn't have issues either. And yes, I use KDE
> _ALL_ the time @work and @home ;) Main issues are with Konqueror web browsing:
> Flash :(

Thanks, I will test Flash on my Kubuntu install. I'm on KDE 4.4.2 but
I still have some "broken" issues.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com