KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Rafa Grimán rafagriman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 12:21:40 BST 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 13:08 Dotan Cohen wrote
> >> The Good
> >
> > Modularity, flexibility,
>
> Do you mean plasmoids? Other than that I do not see KDE as very
> modular, though you are right about the flexibility as the Netbook
> release shows.

Modular on the low level, flake in the case of Koffice could be an example. I
guess for your target audience this is not important.

> > web integration on the desktop, kio (eg.: you can
> > access an FTP server to store images from almost any KDE app).
>
> Right! Thanks!
>
> > Nokia support: qt, Maemo, KOffice for their mobile phones.
>
> That would be flexibility, no?

Yup :D

Almost forgot, you've got KDE for Mac and MS-Windows too :) This is a big
plus, if you're a kmail/gwenview/... addict (like me) ... and you have to use
MS-Windows/Mac: you can still use KDE SC. I knoq, I know, it's not stable so
maybe it's not "user-grade-ready".

But I think it's important.

> >> The Bad
> >
> > We haven't been able to attract more developers/companies :(
> >
> > Companies don't support KDE as much as GNOME. At least, from a marketing
> > point of view is what it looks like (Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, ...).
> >
> > Koffice has very interesting innovations ... but OOo attracts more
> > attention/developers/customers (even though OOo has a small community of
> > developers).
>
> That might be bad for KDE, but I mean to ask what would be bad for a
> potential user.

OK, got it. My bad 0:)

Some people say that KDE SC has too many config option, but my experience is
different. I've swithed some friends from Windows to Linux (and KDE SC, of
course ;) and they've never said anything about it having too many config
options. In fact, some of them like it and others haven't even noticed. But
then again, that's just my experience with users.

> >> The Broken
> >
> > Since KDE SC 4.3 I've had very few issues on Arch Linux. KDE SC 4.2 was
> > lacking some features, but I didn't have issues either. And yes, I use
> > KDE _ALL_ the time @work and @home ;) Main issues are with Konqueror web
> > browsing: Flash :(
>
> Thanks, I will test Flash on my Kubuntu install. I'm on KDE 4.4.2 but
> I still have some "broken" issues.

There are many pages that Konqueror can't render well  (khtml). With rekonq
(webkit) they do render correctly. No flamewar intended, just saying what I
see/suffer ;) Nope, I don't use Firefox unless I have no other option and I've
already sworn in Spanish and English a couple of times. I've got to admit I'm
addicted to Konqueror.

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

Happily using KDE 4.4.2 :)