KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Rafa Grimán rafagriman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:48:12 BST 2010

Hi :)

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 11:07 Dotan Cohen wrote
> I am performing a lecture for my LUG on KDE 4: the good, the bad and
> the broken. These are my current topics, I would like to solicit ideas
> for further good, bad, and broken aspects of KDE 4:
>
> The Good
> Okular, Konqueror, Dolphin, Kate
> I need ideas about what is exceptionally good about Plasma. I like
> Krunner and Lancelot. Anything else?

Modularity, flexibility, web integration on the desktop, kio (eg.: you can
access an FTP server to store images from almost any KDE app).

Nokia support: qt, Maemo, KOffice for their mobile phones.

> The Bad
> Currently the Plasma menus are very confusing to my users, I plan on
> discussing this. Special attention will be given to menu depth and the
> Cashew. Also, some key features of KDE 3 are not yet available in KDE
> 4, and as applications get ported to KDE 4 and Akonadi they lose
> features as well. Accessibility is also a mess in KDE 4. What else is
> just bad about KDE 4?

We haven't been able to attract more developers/companies :(

Companies don't support KDE as much as GNOME. At least, from a marketing point
of view is what it looks like (Red Hat, Canonical, Novell, ...).

Koffice has very interesting innovations ... but OOo attracts more
attention/developers/customers (even though OOo has a small community of
developers).

> The Broken
> I suffer many Kontact bugs, and some design ideas seem broken in their
> current implementation (activities, which will be addressed for KDE
> 4.5). What else is broken for you in KDE 4?

Since KDE SC 4.3 I've had very few issues on Arch Linux. KDE SC 4.2 was
lacking some features, but I didn't have issues either. And yes, I use KDE
_ALL_ the time @work and @home ;) Main issues are with Konqueror web browsing:
Flash :(

HTH

   Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

Happily using KDE 4.4.2 :)