KDE 4: the good, the bad and the broken

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:07:19 BST 2010

I am performing a lecture for my LUG on KDE 4: the good, the bad and
the broken. These are my current topics, I would like to solicit ideas
for further good, bad, and broken aspects of KDE 4:

The Good
Okular, Konqueror, Dolphin, Kate
I need ideas about what is exceptionally good about Plasma. I like
Krunner and Lancelot. Anything else?

The Bad
Currently the Plasma menus are very confusing to my users, I plan on
discussing this. Special attention will be given to menu depth and the
Cashew. Also, some key features of KDE 3 are not yet available in KDE
4, and as applications get ported to KDE 4 and Akonadi they lose
features as well. Accessibility is also a mess in KDE 4. What else is
just bad about KDE 4?

The Broken
I suffer many Kontact bugs, and some design ideas seem broken in their
current implementation (activities, which will be addressed for KDE
4.5). What else is broken for you in KDE 4?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com