Korganizer no longer opens from system tray

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 3 09:26:03 BST 2009

Ryo Furue posted on Fri, 02 Oct 2009 17:18:55 -1000 as excerpted:

> When I close the Calendar window of korganizer, the icon stays.  But,
> nothing happens when I left-click on it.
>
> I can "Quit" the "KOrganizer Reminder Daemon" from the right-click menu.
>  When I do that, the "korgac" process is gone.
>
> Is this worth reporting to the KDE bug tracking system?
>
> For the moment, I've created an entry for korganizer on my launcher (on
> the left-hand side of the baskbar next to the main menu) so that I can
> launch the calendar window from there.  This is not optimal but I can
> live with it.

I'm not a korganizer user, but from what I've read on these lists, what
you are seeing is NOTABUG for kde4.  It's working as designed.

The icon in the systray is simply the reminder daemon (korgac), which
needs to be running if you are to get your reminders, and the systray
icon allows you to visually see that it is running.

Clicking the systray icon therefore no longer (apparently, from what I've
seen on the lists) starts korganizer proper.

As you noted, creating a launcher icon is an alternative -- the one
recommended in the other thread I read, and the one the other user found
acceptable.

Another alternative would be to setup a keyboard shortcut to invoke it,
either by using kmenuedit (right-click on the kickstart/lancelot icon, or
run it from krunner), or by assigning a shortcut to the launcher you
setup (which may invoke it, or simply bring the launcher into focus).

Yet another alternative would be to run it all the time, and use the
place in systemtray option (as found in kmenuedit) to minimize it to the
tray.  You could run it with your kde session, minimize it to the tray,
and never actually terminate it, so it's always in the tray and
returnable to full size from there.  I've never actually tried this on
kde4, tho I did quite some time ago on kde3 for an app or two, and it
didn't quite do what I wanted.  (What I wanted was that once it was setup
to be in the tray, I could hit close, which would quit a normal app, and
it would minimize to tray instead.  I'd have to right-click on the tray
icon to actually quit the app.  However, it would quit, and I had to
remember to hit minimize instead of quit to keep it in the tray, which I
found kind of pointless, so I did something else instead.)  However, it's
an option.  I should try it again to see if it has changed...  Maybe it
works more to my liking now...

Which brings up what I actually did instead, as yet another alternative.
I simply set aside a particular desktop to run that app on, and now
always keep it maximized -- on that desktop only.  I used kwin's specific
window properties to set it to always start on that desktop, always
maximized, and normally have it running the full time I'm in kde, so it's
running when I quit, and therefore runs when I start kde again (I have
kde's session management set to startup the same apps as when I shutdown,
sans a few apps, konsole windows, etc, that I have it set to ignore and
not restart, since there's little point in starting the konsole window if
it's not going to run whatever I had running in it, perhaps an sudo,
whatever, and of course it doesn't do that).  I then simply added another
desktop for the one that was now dedicated to the one app, so I didn't
lose any of the multi-desktop flexibility I had before.

So IOW, it's unlikely to be worth bug reporting.  In fact, I'd guess
there's already a bug reported on it.  You could check, and vote for it
if so.  Maybe if they get enough votes, they'll make clicking on korgac
start the main program, as I guess it used to do in kde3.  It shouldn't
be difficult to do... if they decide they want it to work that way, of
course.  Right now, they apparently don't.